Through the generous support of the Heimbinder Family Foundation, Dance Source Houston is pleased to provide production funding to our member organizations through the Production Grant program. The Production Grant program has been designed to make it simple for individual artists and organizations within DSH's membership to receive financial support to help offset costs associated with producing their work.
Now in its fourth year, the program
will provide grants distributed over the course of the 2017-2018 performance
season. The submission period will begin November 10, 2017 and will close when funds have been depleted.
Successful applications will request funding for production or technical elements that will create a meaningful impact on the production value of the performance that would otherwise be unattainable without the grant funds.
Maximum grant request amount: $750
The Production Grant program looks to support member artists and organizations with funds to offset the cost of production.
- Applicants must be existing intermediate/advanced level members of Dance Source Houston in good standing with budgets under $500,000.
- Funded projects must culminate in a public performance occurring within the greater Houston, Texas area.
- Applicants can only be funded once during the 2017-2018 season.
- Funded performances must take place November 15, 2016 – June 30, 2017.
- Funds from the grant award must be used to offset expenses for a production related element that would otherwise have been unattainable without the grant. This must be clearly stated in the application.
- Applicants who have previously received Production Grant funds may not apply for an expense the program has already funded.
- All approved applicants are required to meet with DSH staff to go over the grant process following notification.
How To Apply
Fill out the application below and attach all required supplemental materials. Be sure that your request is clearly for an element of your work that is:
- not covered by your current budget
- will enhance either a specific area of your work or the overall performer or audience experience
Production Grant recipients must provide invoices from their vendor or contracted personnel before payment can be made. DSH can pay vendors/contractors directly or, if provided proof of payment, DSH will reimburse the member artist or organization.
Applicants can apply for funds to support a variety of production related expenses including, but not limited to:
- Production personnel: stage manager, lighting designer, costume designer, set designer, sound operator etc.
- Rental or purchase of production equipment
- Set Design
- Multimedia Design
You can contact the Dance Source staff at any time with questions about your application. We can be reached by phone at 713.224.3262 or via email:
Mollie Haven Miller, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jhon Stronks, Programs Manager: email@example.com
Dance Source Houston is currently accepting applications for the November 28th Mind The Gap performance. Now in it's second year, Mind The Gap showcases works by DSH members who are good candidates for future self-presenting at MATCH. Creating performance opportunities for local dancemakers, Mind The Gap also provides participants with support in production planning and management. The program, a collaboration between DSH and MATCH, is designed to support artists, at any point in their career, who seek additional support and guidance to improve their production skills.
Works submitted should be 6-10 minutes in length and may be from any genre or style. A total of 4-6 applications will be chosen. If selected, each choreographer will submit a $50 participation fee. Participating choreographers will receive a share of ticketed income.Qualifications:
- Must be a current DSH member in good standing to apply
- If selected, membership must be upgraded to intermediate or advanced level if not already
- If an organization, budget should not exceed $200,000
- May not be one of DSH's 2017-18 Artists In Residence
Monday, December 18
Friday, December 22
Applicants will receive notification
Friday, January 5
Work description, bio and image due to DSH for press release and promotion
Week of January 8
Production meeting with DSH and MATCH staff will be scheduled once participants are selected. All choreographers are required to be in attendance.
Monday, February 26
Video of full work and description of requested lighting due to DSH
Tuesday, March 6
9am-1pm - Tech and spacing
2-3:30pm - Dress rehearsal and performer meeting
6pm - Call
7:30pm - Curtain
The 4th annual Barnstorm Dance Fest, presented by Dance Source Houston, will take place June 14-23, 2018 at MATCH - Midtown Arts & Theater Center Houston. Applications for works 5-15 minutes in length are being accepted from all genres of dance. Selected applicants will perform their work twice during the festival, which may include multiple weekends, and will receive a $250 stipend.
- Applicants do not have to be Houston area residents.
- Applicants who have participated in Barnstorm for the past two consecutive years are not eligible for the 2018 festival.
- Choreographers must be 18 and older.
Limit: Proposed works should be between 5 - 15 minutes in length.
Excerpts of longer works may be submitted.
Genre: Dance Source Houston encourages submissions from all genres of dance.
Application Deadline: Application, work samples and application fees must be received by 5pm on January 15, 2018.
Fee: An application fee of $25 must be paid for each submitted piece. Dance Source Houston members in good standing receive a $5 discount on the application fee. Pay the application fee at https://www.artful.ly/store/events/13970.
Notification: Artists will be notified of acceptance in February 2018.
Read the FAQs before you submit!